Reconstruction of the runway of Vilnius Airport
Woks of reconstruction of the runway of Vilnius airport will be
conducted during the period from 14 July till 17 August 2017, 11:59 p.m.
Kaunas will be the capital of flights during the 35 summer days with
the majority of flights being directed to this airport.
- Date of reconstruction: 14 July 2017 - 17 August 2017, 11:59 p.m. Duration - 35 days.
- The runway will undergo major reconstruction, replacing the old
pavement, reinforcing its foundation, installing new drainage and
rainwater collection systems and reconstructing the lighting control
- During the reconstruction, 14 out of 16 airlines having regular flights plan flying from Kaunas airport.
- Having assessed all technical project requirements and other
conditions, such as precipitation, temperature and duration of the
daylight time, the optimal time for reconstruction was chosen.
- Having conducted the analysis of other airports having implemented
similar projects, the estimated price of works is EUR 25 million. The
contractor of the reconstruction works is the consortium owned by the
Latvian company ACB, which will conduct works for EUR 19 million.
Contractors of the reconstruction are subject to the top quality of
works and reputation requirements seeking that works were performed
smoothly and accurately. The main contractor of works A.C.B. has
regularly performed works in Riga International Airport for more than 20
years; it also worked in NATO airport in Lielvarde (Latvia).
CHANGES IN KAUNAS AIRPORT
In order to ensure high quality service, an additional infrastructure will be created in Kaunas Airport:
- enlarged parking zones;
- built additional parking spaces for both long-term and short-term parking;
- opened a new temporal departure terminal with registration
table, aviation security check posts, State Board Guard Service and
Customs zone as well as boarding gates;
- opened a new temporal arrival terminal;
- passengers provided with high quality service - catering,
shopping, car rent, tourism and public transport information in temporal
- promoted convenient, fast and high quality connection between Vilnius and Kaunas.