Trip during reconstruction
1. When flights will be transferred to Kaunas airport?
Aviation activities in Vilnius airport will be terminated from 14 July till August 17 11:59 pm. Planned flights will be transferred to Kaunas airport.
2. Do all airlines transfer their flights from Vilnius to Kaunas during the reconstruction?
Ryanair and Belavia do not transfer their flights from Vilnius to Kaunas. During the period July through August, flights of Ryanair will not be conducted, while flights from Kaunas will conducted according to the schedule. Airline Belavia will conduct more flights from Palanga airport during reconstruction of Vilnius airport runway.
3. How to buy tickets, if a trip is envisaged during reconstruction of Vilnius airport runway?
We recommend looking for tickets for flights from/to Kaunas airport.
4. Will Kaunas be able to accept all taking-off and landing aircrafts?
Yes. Kaunas airport is getting ready for the increasing flow of passengers: there are equipped additional arrival and departure terminals with temporary infrastructure, number of available parking lots is increased, and additional parking lots are installed.
5. Will there be any flights from Vilnius airport during reconstruction?
From 14 June 2017 through 17 August 2017 11:59 pm flights from Vilnius airport will not be conducted due to reconstruction works. Flights will be transferred to Kaunas and Palanga airports.
6. How much in advance passengers should arrive to Kaunas airport?
We recommend arriving 2 hours before the scheduled flight.
7. Is Kaunas airport adapted for the disabled to travel?
Yes. Kaunas airport provides services by observing the requirements of EC Regulation 1107/2006 and there is equipped all necessary infrastructure and toilets adapted to the needs of the disabled.
Arrival to Kaunas airport
1. How to plan the trip from/to Kaunas, when Vilnius airport runway will be under reconstruction?
Kaunas airport will be accessed by usual transport means:
Number of parking lots is being increased next to Kaunas airport:
You can learn rates of parking lots here.
2. Will there be any additional bus routes into Kaunas airport?
Transport company Ollex increased the number of their bus routes from Vilnius and Klaipėda to Kaunas airport: routes will be adjusted with the flight schedule.
We recommend for passengers to acquire tickets online and in advance, because according to the number of sold tickets the company will decide upon the size and number of buses that will take the specific route. You can acquire tickets already now on Ollex website.
Transport company Toks will handle routes from Vilnius bus station to Kaunas airport and vice versa no less than six times a day during the reconstruction. Passenger transportation will be fulfilled by two year 2017 dated 19-seat microbuses with spacious luggage compartment. Bus schedules to and from Kaunas airport will be found on Toks website.
3. Where detailed information can be found in relation to public transport and other carriers handling routes from/to Kaunas airport?
Recommendation on how to arrive to Kaunas airport may be found on website.
4. Where a private car may be left in Kaunas airport?
You can leave a private car in Kaunas airport in the following places:
Kiss and Fly zone is in the vicinity of passengers‘ terminal.
You can find schemes of parking lots here.
You learn rates of parking lots here.
5. Is it possible to reach Kaunas airport by using services of CityBee?
Yes, it is possible. You can leave the car in Kaunas airport parking lot P2 or Unipark parking lot.
Preliminary price for such trip by economy class car from Vilnius to Kaunas airport is ca. Eur 20 (duration – ca. 1.5 hour, distance – ca.120 km). For more detailed information, please contact by 24/7 telephone +370 700 44844 or write an e-mail on address firstname.lastname@example.org
Services provided in Kaunas airport
1. Is there free WI-FI in the airport?
There is free wireless internet connection Invest Lithuania Free WiFi operating in Kaunas airport. Passengers may use their smart equipment already for 6 hours.
2. Is it possible to acquire SIM services for arriving foreign visitors?
SIM cards may be acquired at Narvesen shops. During reconstruction, they will operate in terminals A and B.
3. Is there a possibility to exchange currency or withdraw cash in the airport?
There is an ATM machine operating in Kaunas airport permanent terminal B, it services customers of Danske bankas, Šiaulių bankas, Nordea and Citadelė. ATM machine of DnB bankas will work in the airport during the reconstruction. There is a currency exchange office of Medicinos bankas in the permanent terminal B. During reconstruction, passengers will be able to find all these services in terminal B, though there will no longer be abovementioned services in the temporary departure terminal A.
4. Will there be smoking rooms in the zone after conducting aviation security checks?
You will find smoking zones after aviation security check area in the temporary terminal A and permanent terminal B, departure hall, next to toilets.
5. Will there be a pharmacy in Kaunas airport?
There will be no pharmacy in Kaunas airport, thus we recommend taking care about necessary medication in advance. There will an ambulance car in the airport for provision of first assistance to passengers.
6. Is there a hotel nearby Kaunas airport?
There is a hotel AirHotel adjacent to Kaunas airport. You can reserve rooms in advance on hotel website or via booking.com system.
7. What services are provided to business passengers in Kaunas airport during reconstruction of Vilnius airport runway?
Fast track service will operate in both departure terminals, both in temporary terminal A, intended for Schengen zone passengers and permanent terminal B, intended for passengers going to other than Schengen zone countries.
There will also be equipped a temporary Business Club in Kaunas airport, which will be accessed both from temporary and permanent terminals.
8. Will there be tourism information services provided in the airport?
Kaunas city tourism information centre is established on the first floor of terminal B, adjacent to Narvesen shop. During reconstruction, employees of the information centre will welcome passengers.
9. Where will the service of lost/left articles work in Kaunas airport, what telephone number to call?
For articles left/lost inside the plane or for lost luggage, please contact the company providing overground services Baltic Ground Services (BGS) or Litcargus.
For articles lost in the terminal or aviation security check zone, please contact on 24/7 customer service telephone number 8 612 444 42; while still present in the airport, please contact the employees responsible for aviation security check.
Works in Vilnius airport
1. How long will reconstruction of Vilnius airport runway take?
Reconstruction will take 35 days. Aviation activity in Vilnius airport will be terminated from 14 July through 17 August, 11:59 pm.
2. How much time maximum will reconstruction works of Vilnius airport runway may take?
Technical data suggests the need to close the runway for 35 days. This is the shortest possible period for implementation of such project.
3. Why it is decided to reconstruct specifically during the envisaged period, that is, in summer, when passenger flows rocket up?
It is chosen to reconstruct Vilnius airport runway during the period of 14 July 2017 through 17 August 2017, 11:59 pm. due to the most suitable air conditions and technical solutions:
4. Why reconstruction during night time was not chosen, as does other airports?
During nights it would be possible only to repair the runway, but not to reconstruct it from the basics. If the runway will be handled during night shifts, works would take longer – up to two years. During all this period, airlines would have to observe highly strict time control, as take-off and landing time of aircrafts at the airport would be cut both in the evening and in the morning.
This situation would result in inconveniences for frequently flying passengers, for instance, in case of delay into transit flights. In order to avoid such situation and long-term reconstruction works, probably lasting even up to two years, Vilnius airport activity is terminated for a shorter, just for 35 days, period.
5. Why it was decided to reconstruct the runway and not to fix its upper layer?
Already 20 years passed after the last reconstruction of the runway, thus now reconstruction is necessary not only for assurance of efficient activities, but also for assurance of passengers’ safety. If currently only upper layer of the runway would be repaired, soon higher scale works would be required, thus reconstruction is the best choice, if looking forward. Lithuania’s airports is one of companies influencing state image, thus it has to orient its activities from a more long-term perspective.
6. What kind of reconstruction will be done in Vilnius airport and what specifically will be done during reconstruction?
Vilnius airport runway will be reconstructed from the basics, both external and ground part of the runway. The following works are planned:
Lost and Found contacts
Litcargus serviced Airlines: Austrian, Brussels Airlines, Air Baltic, Norwegian, Lufthansa, SAS, Ryan air, Wizz air *
* Only these flights are serviced LTN (W68121) flights are served; BGO (W68143); EIN (W6 8151 / W68025); AES (W68141); SVG (W68145), all remaining serviced by BGS.
BGS serviced Airlines: Finnair, Polish Airlines, Small Planet Airlines, Wizz Air
Vilnius Airport runway already has a new pavement, reconstruction will be finished on time